21.5.95

21.5.95 (Sun)

I am now on a train to Luxembourg. The trip takes about three hours and there is one more hour to go.

I went to Ghent yesterday. I think that the city was dismal and unattractive, at least to me. There were medieval buildings, rivers, cobblestone streets, same as Brugge. But it did not have the charm of Brugge. I however found the service of the Tourist Office there very helpful and friendly. When you are alone on a journey, every friendly smile counts.

After an evening walk in Brussels, i.e. the Grand Place to be exact, I returned to the hotel and asked for the bill. To my surprise, the hotel charged me 3550 BF for two nights, not 4700 BF as I had expected. Though it was posted in the room that the price was 1950 BF for the room and 2350 BF with shower, I think my slight bargaining during check-in worked and the rate became 1775 BF for a single person with private bathroom and WC. Nice price. But I could not enjoy the breakfast today because of the early train.

Once again, taking all the luggage with me nearly killed me. I think I will just check in the nearest decent hotel when I arrive in Luxembourg.

No comments: