23.9.96

23.9.96 (Mon)

Now this is something new. I've got on this train to Manchester from York and it was full. I had to stand till it arrived at Leeds. Now the train is almost empty. I think I have boarded a wrong train. The one which came before the train I intended to take. But it doesn't matter because it is also going to Manchester Piccadilly. And I've just tried to use a coupon provided by Britrail Pass to buy some food on board, and to my disappointment it was not accepted. Alas.

York is a small place. Though it was Sunday yesterday, it was quite lively there in the afternoon. Many shops were open and tourists and local people filled the streets. The weather was not bad (at least it did not rain). I enjoyed very much strolling on the streets, so much that I gave up the museums there. But I don't really mind. The walks were so pleasant.

The city wall was not as grand as I had expected. And I found the York Minster strange. It obviously should not be a Roman Catholic church. But it looked like one. Or maybe it is. I am not so sure now.

I did not expect that I would understand what was written on the plaques, walls, etc in the churches/monuments in Europe. And so it was strange that I understood them here in Britain.

Today I'll stay in Chester.

I think going to a new city everyday is not the best way to travel. It is tiring. Plus I need to spend almost 3 hours on train everyday. But there seems to be no other ways if I want to travel around Britain in such a short time.

No comments: