15.3.08

A drink

I went to the Dan Ryan's in TST just for a drink. I sipped my glass of Australian Cardonnay (the cheapest) and was happy. Then I looked around and saw that everyone in the bar area was either eating or waiting for his food. I was not hungry, but watching other people eat didn't feel right. So I looked at the menu, felt convinced that I was not hungry, and put down the menu; then I looked at it again, and put it down again. I told myself to leave real quick as I didn't need to eat. Then I looked at my watch and it was 5 o'clock. It was not so awfully wrong to order dinner at 5, was it? So I ordered a hotdog. There was no escape.

And the food was delicious, particularly the fries. Believe it or not, there were two whole green chilies/peppers in the hotdog and they were hot, which made the thing even more tasty.

On the menu there is a warning about the big size of the portion served. Some people obviously get very surprised when they see the food. There was this group of 5 noisy westerners (before their arrival the place was pretty quiet and comfy) who came in without really looking at the menu and ordered like 2 or 3 club sandwiches and 2 or 3 fries plus drinks. They were really taken aback when they saw the sandwiches. And one woman hastened to mouth to her friends "how much" and then grab the menu to take a look. It was such good fun watching them.

I am a regular drinker but the wine made me drunk, giving me red hot cheeks. And I find it hard to understand. I mean I don't get drunk at home. But perhaps if I get drunk at home I simply go to bed so I don't realise it. Anyways, I was full and drunk when I left the restaurant and I felt like a happier person.

No comments: