15.9.99

Crete

Dear friend,

Hello. The Hutchcity server is always down. I am getting impatient/angry with it.

The internet charge is getting cheaper and cheaper. At first it was about HKD170 for 33 minutes. Now it is about HKD13 for half an hour.

I am now in Hania (Xania in Greek), Crete. It is quite a pretty place with a Venetian waterfront and old town. In the rain, it even looks poetic. I am staying in a Class "A" (second highest class) hotel at the waterfront. I could have found a much cheaper room but it is not always possible to find an affordable high-class hotel (just about HKD500 per night). So. The hotel is a restored 14th Century (!) building. My room was a disappointment at the first sight. It has no air-conditioning (!) and is only lit by 4 dim lights. But it is special, elegant and has an old-time feel. And I soon find it quite lovely. I guess that's why it is classed high.

Being Venetian is a major selling point of major Cretan cities. But it has just occured to me that I am going to Venice itself very soon. So it's hard to imagine why I've planned to come to Crete at the beginning.

I know I have been writing too much, to you and to some others. Sorry. I will try to control myself. Don't bother to reply me if you have no time.

Bye now.

No comments: