12.9.99

Santorini

Dear friend,

What more can I say about Greece. It is ancient (all those ruins), beautiful (you will have to see them to believe that such beautiful places do exist on earth), relaxing (after seeing those scenic sights there are soon nothing else to do besides wandering here and there and sitting at cafes), tiring (going to any scenic islands involves several hours' boat trip EVERYTIME), and even exciting (you get the earthquake). People are generally friendly. Those who speak English speak English to you. Those who don't just speak whatever languages they speak to you. Tourists are especially friendly because they are so relaxed. They speak to anybody, and nicely. I have met a french woman who praised me looking fantastic and asked for my permission to take my photo. But one has to be particularly careful on such occasions because of the gay culture here. Ha ha.

One of my girlfriends is now also touring Europe. She e-mailed me talking about partying in Barcelona. I replied, "I never party. Don't even know what it feels like to be partying." Do you party?

I am so lonely here that I keep sending so many postcards to my friends. They must find me troublesome. I will meet two of my friends (honeymooners) in Switzerland soon and I have shamelessly asked them to bring me the "300 peoms of the Tang Dynesty" because it is hard to cope without family/friends/books.

I will be leaving for Crete at 5 pm today. But it is only 10:15 am. My landlady (I stayed in a pension) said to me last night, "Leaving tomorrow, ha? At 9 or 10?" I am thinking hard about what to do after sending you this email. :)

Best regards,

No comments: